Today, what was known for centuries, is confirmed by modern science...turmeric works for medicinal purposes including treating inflammation and pain! You can read over 12,000 published scientific articles confirming it! This includes internal inflammation (like arthritis or diabetic induced nerve pain) and external inflammation like acne. Turmeric is also a known cancer protective spice (reducing the size of tumors in laboratory studies). It's also effective at reducing risk of blood clots, depression and cognitive degenerative diseases (like Alzheimer's Disease).
The ability to treat so many various diseases is surely due in part to its very strong anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidative properties! ....But also in part to the fact that turmeric is a “functional food”, which means it has a potentially positive affect on health beyond its nutritional content.
- Acne: Due to it's anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidative effects, acne (as well as scarring) can be reduced with both internal and external use of turmeric (topical face-masks containing turmeric). Make sure to test any masks containing turmeric for allergic reactions on a small part of your arm before applying directly to your face.
- Redness: Due to the anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric, topical applications can reduce redness and other forms of facial inflammation.
- Skin Disease: Turmeric has been shown to reduce symptoms and control various skin disorders such as scabies and psoriasis.
- Diabetic Nerve Pain: A study published in the European Journal of Pharmacology, 2014, stated that turmeric activates the opiod system (this was confirmed in diabetic rats). This indicates why turmeric may help relieve pain associated with diabetic nerve damage.
- General Pain Relief: Other studies indicate turmeric is an effective pain reliever for wounds, post-operation surgical sites, arthritic pain and even sciatic nerve pain.
Turmeric for Arthritis and Joint health
- Arthritis: A study published by Phytotherapy Research in 2012, highlighted a trial in which patients with rheumatoid arthritis took either turmeric or NSAIDs. The patients taking Turmeric showed the largest improvements. While Arthritis cannot be cured, it appears turmeric is a safe and side-affect free way to naturally reduce symptoms associated with arthritis.
- May reduce or prevent blood clotting: Both test tube and animal studies support the claim that regular use of turmeric supplements reduce platelet aggregation and the formation of a thrombus. As you may know, blood clotting is a common symptom of atherosclerosis and other cardiovascular diseases. Blood clots are a root cause of Ischemic stroke and heart attacks! Reducing clotting in your body will reduce your risk of clot related medical emergencies which are often debilitating or even fatal.
Turmeric for the Brain
- Depression: The use of Prozac (fluoxetine) and other anti-depressants has increased dramatically during the past 15 years. Unfortunately, these drugs are powerful chemical disruptors and have many unwanted side-affects. However, a study from 2014 (published in the journal Phytotherapy Research) compared 60 volunteers with clinical depression and compared those using fluoxetine verse those taking turmeric. The trial indicated that turmeric was equally effective at the six-week mark at reducing symptoms of depression as Prozac. Since this publication, additional research continues to support this claim.
- Alzheimer’s and Cognitive degeneration: Inflammation is a key feature in cognitive degeneration as is neuro-toxicity. While study’s in humans is ongoing, past trials performed on rats and labs, indicate that turmeric is tolerated well by patients and effective in reducing inflammation and toxicity. Reduced brain impairment has been noticed in animal studies, however, further research is needed to be conclusive.
- Treats various forms of cancer: According to the UK Cancer Research center, “A number of laboratory studies on cancer cells have shown that curcumin (the active ingredient in turmeric) does have anticancer effects. It seems to be able to kill cancer cells and prevent more from growing. It has the best effects on breast cancer, bowel cancer, stomach cancer and skin cancer cells.”
- Helps prevent resistance to Chemo-therapy: Early research indicates that curcumin may help patients who have developed a resistance to chemo-therapy drugs over time. Curcumin may help “re-sensitize” cells to chemo-therapy drugs.
Use: Add 7 grams (1 tablespoon) once per day to foods, smoothies, drinks, soups, sauces, curries, etc. If you experience side-affects (which are very rare) try reducing dosage or stop using completely.
Tips: Add black pepper to Turmeric for better absorption of curcumin when taking internally. Also take with fatty foods for better digestion and absorption. Living Traditionally does not add black pepper due to turmeric's topical uses (especially when using turmeric in face-masks).
More Turmeric Information:
Turmeric is generally considered safe; however, some people may have allergic reactions (especially when applied topically as in a mask). This is usually a mild, itchy rash. When taken internally (in high doses) reactions such as the following have been observed; Nausea, diarrhea, bleeding, hypotension (low blood pressure) and increased menstrual flow.
Turmeric may interfere with anti-coagulants (NSAIDs, aspirin, clopidogrel, warfarin). People with bleeding issues or about to have surgery should consult their physician before use.
Pregnant and nursing mothers should contact a physician before starting turmeric or any dietary supplement.
6 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
I drink this powder mixed in warm water with cinnamon and honey every morning. It helps make arthritis pain dissipate.
Ive taken turmeric for years and this is goo turmeric for a great price. You can always buy cheap turmeric, but quality turmeric like this is simply hard to find
I've taken turmeric for years. Living Traditionally is my go to for most products so I'm not surprised I liked this too
I usually have good luck with Living Traditionally products so I wasnt surprised I liked the turmeric too.. I actually blend turmeric with their wheatgrass which I just mix in a jar. I just purchased beetroot which I intend to mix in too.
Since I don’t use turmeric for cooking, this product is essential for my joints well-being. Really helped me to reduce inflammation in my knees. Everyone, who is a jogger, should absolutely use it
This is by far the best Tumeric Powder I have yet to try!