Sometimes the word “superfood” can be cliché. We hear it a lot these days and it is probably overly used. This is not the case with Spirulina, which truly deserves the title. It was Spirulina that was called the “best food of the future” by the World Food Conference. But is was when NASA added spirulina to the Astronauts diet that put Spirulina on the map. Since then, there have been many studies demonstrating the wide range of healthy properties this supplement provides. A wide range of properties that includes the following:
- Proteins and Amino Acids: Living Traditionally Spirulina is a great source of highly usable and digestible Proteins and 9 essential Amino Acids. Good for vegetarians, vegans and athletes (increases endurance and muscle strength). Provides the essential fatty acid GLA. High in Omega’s 3, 6, and 9!
- Vitamins and Minerals: Spirulina Powder contains very high levels of B vitamins (including B1, B2 and B9) also vitamins C, D and E. Contains a very absorb-able form of Iron (great for vegetarians and vegans). Studies have shown in may help treat Anemia by increasing hemoglobin content in red blood cells. It also has about 26X the amount of Calcium as milk. High in Magnesium, Potassium and Copper
- Powerful Antioxidant: ORAC over 24,000 (4X that of blueberries). Reduces free radical damage and exercise induced oxidation leading to more muscle building and less fatigue. Higher endurance levels make workouts more productive leading to increased weight loss. Works as heavy metal detox agent (arsenic levels drastically reduced in tests). Provides beta-carotene and chlorophyll
- Cholesterol and Blood Sugar Management: Spirulina has been shown to lower blood sugar levels and HbA1c levels. It also may help lower triglyceride and LDL cholesterol levels while increasing HDL levels.
- Increases Immunity and Digestion: Spirulina helps treat Candida and Yeast infections. Candida is a hallmark of autoimmune disease. Helps prevent leaky gut syndrome. Reduces acidity in the gut and helps lower risk of infection. Increases immunity and energy levels!
These healthy properties are great for increasing overall general health and are particularly effective for the following:
- Vegetarians and Vegans: Due to large levels of highly usable proteins and amino acids, Spirulina is a great way to get these essential nutrients without compromising dietary requirements.
- Increasing weight loss: Spirulina has been shown to increase fat burning and weight loss during exercise. Because it reduces oxidative stress on muscles, it helps prevent muscle fatigue and damage while increasing endurance.
- Diabetes and cholesterol Management: Spirulina has been shown to lower blood sugar levels and even HbA1c levels. It also has been shown to lower triglyceride and LDL cholesterol levels while increasing HDL levels.
- Reduce toxins and heavy metals: Due to the high antioxidant level of Spirulina, it is great for reducing toxins and metals that accumulate in our body due to environmental conditions and diet. This neuroprotective reduction of toxins can even help reduce symptoms associated with Parkinson’s or Alzheimer’s.
Safety: While Living Traditionally’s Organic Spirulina is generally considered safe, those taking anti-coagulant medication or who have PKU or a Autoimmune disease should consult a physician before taking Spirulina. In addition, anyone pregnant or nursing should ask their doctor before taking Spirulina or any dietary Supplement.
How to Use: Add 1 tablespoon (about 7 grams) to water, juice, smoothies, soups, dips, sauces, etc. or even sprinkle directly on food to increase its nutritional value.